Google AdWords Tests Page Titles as Ad Copy Extension
Is Google AdWords testing a new ad extension that uses the query/keyword then scans the website for the relevant page and dynamically pulls the page title into a new link extension? I think so!
Today I noticed that one of our Client’s ads was appearing with a new link below the ad copy. This link exceeded sitelink character limits so I knew immediately I was not looking at a sitelink.
I found that the link took visitors to a interior page of the website different from the destination URL of the ad, and appears to be dynamically pulling the text for the link from a page’s title and slightly modifying it. I originally thought breadcrumbs were being pulled for this link text but was able to rule that out. I found a few examples of this link occurring within this Client account that leads me to believe that the query/keyword is playing a part in what website page is being used to generated this link with the ad. However, the example below was generated on a brand query and unfortunately the page Google selected is not what I would have selected if given the option to set this up myself.
Couple of points:
– This campaign does not use Dynamic Search Ads/Targets.
– I checked the Automated Extensions Report and found no data to represent this Google generated link.
Our Team reached out to our Google Rep who was unable to share anything about this appended link at this time but she is continuing to look into it. This is likely another one of Google’s tests and hopefully our Rep will be able to find some information and share it with us, if/when that happens we will update this article.